Beetroot Wadi in Marathi
Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 9 to 10 medium pieces
1 cup Boiled and grated beetroot
1.25 cups sugar
1/2 cup scraped coconut
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1) Pressure cook beetroot upto 2 whistles. When cold, peel and grate using medium hole grater.
2) Take a flat surface. Grease it with some ghee. Also grease a plastic sheet.
3) Heat 1 tbsp ghee into a nonstick pan. Add sugar, coconut, and grated beet. Mix over medium-high heat.
4) Keep stirring until mixture thickens. First, mixture will become loose in consistency. Then gradually, it will thicken. It will take approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Gather the mixture in the center. If it is not spreading,
then the mixture is ready to set. OR lower the heat.
[Take a pea-sized portion into a plate. In few seconds it will be easy to handle. Press it a little. If the mixture is still gooey then cook a litle longer. If it solidifies then immediately pour the mixture over greased
surface and flatten it using plastic sheet.]
5) When the mixture is almost done then add lemon juice and cardamom powder. Pour the mixture over greased surface and flatten it with plastic sheet. Grease a knife with some ghee. Indent the marks when the mixture is still hot. Make squares or diamond shapes. When mixture cools down, then separate the wadis.