Time: 30 minutes
:::::For Vadas:::: (Read tip no. 1)
1/4 cup Chana dal
2 to 3 tbsp Matki dal (or whole)
2 tbsp urad dal
2 tbsp tovar dal
2 tbsp masoor dal
2 mung dal
7 to 8 garlic cloves
7 to 8 green chilies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
salt to taste
1.5 cups oil to fry vadas (use medium or small kadai)
1 cup Rice
1.5 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
::::For tempering:::: (do read tip number 5)
4 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing
2 pinches turmeric powder
4 to 5 dried red chilies
1) Soak all dals in warm water for minimum 3 hours. After soaking for 3 hours put dals into a strainer. Drain all the water. Put dals into a mixer. Also add cumin seeds, green chilies, garlic cloves and salt. Grind without adding water.
2) Wash rice. Add 1.5 cups water and salt. Pressure cook upto 3 whistles.
3) Heat oil into a kadai. Flame should be on medium. Add cilantro and mix well. Add spoonful portions of batter into hot oil. Likewise fry all the vadas.
4) Heat 4 tbsp oil into a small tadka pan. Once oil is hot, turn off the heat. Add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric powder and broken red chilies.
5) Serve the cooked rice into 3 serving plates. Also serve 3 to 4 vadas for each person. Crumble and sprinkle over rice. Add hot tadka as required.
Serve vada bhat with buttermilk kadhi.
1) You can change the proportion of dals. If matki dal is not available, then use whole matki. Whole matki needs 5 to 6 hours of soaking.
2) I used mung dals with skin on.
3) It is okay to use matki dal more than other dals.
4) Another method of making wadas - Wash and dry dals by spreading them on a clean cloth. Grind them in a grinder and make slightly coarse flour (For better result grind it in flour mill). Take 1 cup of this flour. Add 1 tsp hot oil. Add water and knead a medium consistency dough. Make flat vadas and deep fry.
5) Once you finished frying wadas, take 4 tbsp oil and reuse it to prepare tadka. This way, you won't have to use fresh oil.
Nutritional Info: Per Serving (total 3 servings)
Calories: 567 | Carbs: 67 g | Fat: 29 g | Protein: 10 g | Sat. Fat: 2 g | Sugar: 1 g